Jamaican Jerk Kabobs with Smoked Sausage

These kabobs are really, really good, especially if you like a little heat!  It's also pretty darn easy.  I was able to throw these together coming off a migraine and a Packer loss in the playoffs so someone with all of their faculties should have no trouble with this recipe!

They are also really good for you!  I found the recipe in my Cuisine Lite cookbook.  You can keep those healthy eating resolutions and still enjoy them!

The full recipe is below but I'll start with my editorial!

Before you start, if you're using bamboo skewers, get them soaking!


Then mix up the glaze ingredients.  I could tell this was going to be good!  Yes, there are a few ingredients but nothing too difficult.  I will admit I did cheat and used pre-chopped, refrigerated garlic.  I don't usually do that but, well, the Packer's lost!



Then I cut up the veggies.  The recipe called for green pepper.  I made it with one green, one red and an onion.  We love grilled onions in our house!


Next I cut up the meat.  Notice the color of my cutting board changed!  Be sure you are not cutting your veggies and raw meat on the same cutting board.  I have a set of four that I got from Williams-Sonoma that I just love, red for red meat, yellow for chicken, green for veggies and white for whatever else I might have to cut up!


I really like this turkey kielbasa!  It has good texture and great flavor.  I'll be using this again.


Put the skewers together and throw them on the grill!


Aren't these beautiful!  They smelled great as they were cooking too.


A serving is two skewers.  I served them with a side of Giada's Farro Salad with Tomatoes and Herbs.


Servings:  8

Ingredients:
For the jerk glaze


1/4 cup canola oil (I used a chipoltle infused olive oil instead)
Juice of one lime, 2-3 tablespoons
2 Tablespoons minced fresh oregano
1 Tablespoon minced lime zest
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

For the kabobs:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
8 ounces turkey kielbasa, cut into 1-inch pieces
2-3 green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used one green, one red and added onion)

Directions:
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Brush grill rack with oil.
Combine the oil, lime juice, oregano, lime zest, onion powder, brown sugar, garlic, allspice, cinnamon and cayenne for the glaze in a bowl.  Set aside half of the glaze for serving with the kabobs.

Thread chicken, sausage and bell pepper pieces onto eight 10-inch skewers.

Grill kabobs until chicken is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.  Turn skewers and brush with glaze every 2 minutes during grilling, using remaining glaze.

Nutritional Information (per serving, two skewers):  308 Calories; 13g total fat (3g sat., 4g mono, 6g poly); 103mg cholesterol; 578mg sodium; 11g carb (2g fiber, 7g total sugars); 36g protein; 2mg iron; 52mg calcium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts