Lite Fettuccine Alfredo!

I just got my new edition of Cuisine Lite and the first recipe I wanted to try was Lite Fettuccine Alfredo.  I like Alfredo, I don't love it, but every once in a while it's what I want.  Lately I've been buying the Buitoni Lite Alfredo in the dairy case.  It's ok, bland, I have to doctor it up.  So I thought if this was good I'd have found a replacement for the store purchased variety.

Yes, you can make fettuccini alfredo that is not a "heart attack on a plate" that actually tastes good.

This is good!  It's really good!  There's lemon zest in it which just brightens it right up.  The recipe makes a lot of sauce, 4 cups, which is 12 servings.  I made half a batch.


I used the Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Whole Grain pasta rather than regular pasta.  We actually prefer this to regular pasta.  I like the nutty flavor.  I had two other substitutions.  First I don't really like Greek yogurt so it's not in the house.  I used regular non-fat plain yogurt, I just drained it through a paper towel for about 15 minutes before I used it.


The other substitution was chopped shallots for the chopped onion.

The recipe is pretty simple and I like that you can make the base up to a week in advance!  You simply blend milk, ricotta cheese, yogurt, onion, garlic, salt and nutmeg in a blender until smooth.  I found out tonight I need a new blender!  Mine is dead.  I had to use my food processor!  Sounds like an excellent excuse for me to invest in that immersion blender I've been wanting!

This mixture can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to a week.



When you're ready to make the sauce you make a roux with flour and olive oil then add the milk mixture and simmer until it thickens.  The sauce will clump as the dairy ingredients are added but continue whisking until smooth.  Finally you add some Parmesan-Reggiano, lemon zest, salt and pepper then toss it with the pasta!


I added some roasted veggies and served it with a nice seared salmon.  Yum!


Here's the recipe:


Lite Fettuccine Alfredo
Source:  Cuisine Lite


Makes 12 servings (4 cups)
Total time:  30 minutes


Cook:
1 pound dry fettuccine


Blend:
2 cups skim milk
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
2/3 cup 2% Greek style yogurt
1/4 cup minced onion
2 Tablespoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg


Heat:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose four
1/3 cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano
Minced zest of one lemon
Black Pepper to taste


Cook fettuccine in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions; drain and set aside.


Blend milk, ricotta, yogurt, onion, garlic, salt and nutmeg in a blender until smooth.  You can transfer mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate up to a week at this point.


Parmigiano-Reggiano and zest; season with pepper.


Toss with pasta.


Per Serving:  248 Cal; 8g total fat (2g sat, 4g mono, 0g poly); 7mg chol; 278mg sodium; 33g carb (1g fiber, 4g total sugars); 11g protein; 1mg iron; 54mg calcium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts