Can you really make pizza crust out of cauliflower?

Yes, this is another recipe I found on Pinterest, Cauliflower Crust Pizza.  Summer's coming and I'd like to fit into my shorts (and by fit I mean zip, sit and breath all at the same time) so I'm looking for healthier recipes and this sounded like it might be pretty good.

The version of the recipe I  found (there are several versions of cauliflower crust out there on the interweb) came from a blog called "A Cup of Flour".  Here is a LINK to the recipe.

It's easy to put together.  Just process a head of cauliflower until it's crumbly and microwave it for 8 minutes.  The recipe calls for 6-7 cups which is one large head.  I got about 6 cups from what I would have called an average head.  It was 1 pound, 6 ounces once it was trimmed and chopped.


To the cooked cauliflower add Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano salt and three eggs.


Pour this mixture into a greased rimmed baking sheet and baked for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.  It started to smell good so I was encouraged.

Now on to toppings!  We had our "usual".  Dave had sausage, Canadian bacon and black olives (no, I would not let him put sauerkraut on the pizza, that's for when I'm gone!) and I had onions, green peppers and pepperoni. 


Back in the oven it went until the cheese was melted and slightly browned.  It smelled like pizza!

Then I tried to cut it.  I could tell by feel that the crust wasn't crispy.  I like crispy.  There was no way you could pick up a "slice" of this pizza and eat it.  It's knife and fork pizza.

The verdict?  Well, it was ok.  I don't think I'll make it again.  It wasn't even close to as good as the Artisan Pizza in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois that is a staple in our house.


However, if you know someone with a gluten issue, this is a great alternative.  It really just tastes like the toppings you put on it.  I love the flavor and chew of a good crust and that was missing with the cauliflower crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts