Onion Rolls from Noble Pig - Addicting!

If you frequent this blog then you know I'm addicted to recipes posted on the Noble Pig website.  Not one has been a disappointment!  Which is something I wish I could say about Cook's Illustrated this weekend, but that's another story....

Because we've been enjoying so many of the Noble Pig recipes and I've become somewhat of a Noble Pig stalker, we decided it might be time to try the wine.  Dave really likes Pinot Noir and he especially likes Washington and Oregon pinot noirs and the more they taste like the dirt in which they are grown the better.   I like some pinot noirs and I prefer they taste like the grape!

A few weeks ago I ordered some Noble Pig wine (ok, yes, I joined another wine club, don't tell my mother!) and I didn't think it would be right to drink it out of any old glass so I ordered a couple Noble Pig wine glasses as well.  Imagine my surprise and delight when they were Riedel Pinot Noir glasses!  Yes, there's a special glass just for pinot noir.  If you haven't taken a Riedel class to learn which wines taste best in which glasses I highly recommend it.  You will be amazed at how differently the wines taste based on the glass from which you drink it.

This week the wine and the glasses arrived and I planned a "Noble Pig Dinner".  I was definitely making Hoisin Pork Tenderloin, it's one of our absolute favorite preparations for pork tenderloin.  I hadn't made the Salt and Vinegar Potatoes in a while either so they went on the menu.  For our vegetable I made Roasted Brown Sugar-Five Spice Butternut Squash.  We've had all of these before so I wanted to add a new one.

We absolutely love the onion bread served at Joan's in the Park and as luck would have it Noble Pig had an onion roll recipe so that was that, I made No-Knead Onion Rolls.

This is a  no knead recipe which makes it simple to throw together.

You start by caramelizing the onions in a little oil and sugar.  I used my Nocellara olive oil from the Olive Grove of course.  What smells better than sauteing onions?  Not much!



Bloom a little yeast in warm water (those of you who fear yeast need not, just sprinkle the yeast over the water and wait 5 minutes).  To this eggs, butter, sugar, salt, 3/4 of the onions and flour are added until a "sticky" dough is formed.  Let me just elaborate on that, a very sticky dough!

This is allowed to rise for an hour before you form it into 16 rolls.  The recipe says to use well-floured hands to make the rolls.  I'll elaborate again, very well-floured hands!




Once you have the rolls in your greased 13x9 pan you are supposed to sprinkle the remaining onions on top.  Well I missed that step and went right into the second rising.  No worries, I added them after the dough had risen and they turned out just fine!



Once the rolls have risen a second time pop them in a 400 degree oven and out come the most wonderful onion rolls.  They smell so good, fresh baked bread combined with caramelized onions!  And the flavor is so good, sweet bread with sweet and slightly salty onion.  I just couldn't stop eating them!


What will I do different next time?  I'll make them half the size.  These are pretty big rolls.  And that way, as an added bonus, I won't feel so bad when I eat two (or three) of them.  I wonder if they make good French toast like the Joan's in the Park bread?  I might have to try that!

Our Noble Pig dinner!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! That looks delicious. I have been impressed with the recipes from La Crema as well.

    ReplyDelete

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts