A Better BLT

Everything is better with bacon.  Really, it's true!  And one of my favorite sandwiches is a BLT, especially in the summer when the tomatoes are fresh.  When I saw this recipe for Shrimp BLT sandwiches of course I had to try it.

I did modify it a little.  It's not a terribly complicated recipe for which a substitution could just plain ruin it.  It's a BLT!

The recipe that was the inspiration is from a blog I follow, Katie's Cucina.  Katie's recipe calls for a croissant.  I decided I would use my homemade hamburger buns. 

And Katie's recipe also calls for a Smoked Chipotle Aioli Sauce.  This sauce was so similar in ingredients to the chipotle-lime mayo I just love from Noble Pig, I decided to just use that.

Here is a link to the original recipe:
Shrimp BLT Croissant Sandwiches

The ingredients are pretty simple:

Shrimp
Old Bay Seasoning
Butter
Bread
Bacon
Lettuce
Tomato
Avocado or Guacamole (optional)
Chipotle Lime Mayo (or plain old mayo if you prefer)

Quantities are pretty simple too.  You will need enough shrimp for how every many sandwiches you want to make.  Pick a size, any size, large might be easier on a sandwich, I had small ones and they worked just fine.

You'll need buns of some sort, croissants, hamburger buns, ciabatta bread, whatever you like.

You'll also need enough bacon so that all the bacon lovers have enough on their sandwich. We love Neuske bacon!  I weave the bacon so there's bacon in every bite.  If you want to use my method you'll need three pieces per sandwich.

Enough butter lettuce and tomato slices for the number of sandwiches you are making.

And finally I really like a little spicy Wholly Guacamole and Chipotle Lime Mayo on mine!


If you want to try the chipotle lime mayo (you won't be disappointed) you'll need the following.  I got this recipe from the Noble Pig blog.  I use it on eggs, fish tacos, and now BLTs!

Make the chipotle-lime mayo:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped
zest from 1/2 a lime
juice from 1/2 a lime

Mix all the ingredients together and set aside.


Make the bacon:
I like "bacon in every bite".  I found this neat trick in a Huffington Post article shared by Applegate Farms.

Cut bacon slices in half and weave them into a "bacon mat".  Place them on a broiler pan in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes.  I flip mine over half way through so they are nice and crispy on both sides.


 Make the shrimp:
Toss the shrimp in Old Bay Seasoning to taste.
Saute them up in a pan with a little cooking spray or butter or throw them on the grill!

Assemble the sandwich:
We like toasted buns so I toasted the buns.  Slather the bun with a little Wholly Guacamole.


Add a little chipotle-lime mayo.

Top that with bacon, then tomato, then shrimp and finally the lettuce.



Devour.  These were so good.  Great texture from the bacon and lettuce, creamy sauce and a perfect homemade bun.  We'll definitely be making these again!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts