A Week with Curtis Stone - Monday

The latest addition to my cookbook collection is Curtis Stone's What's for Dinner.  I love to cook, but sometimes I have trouble figuring out what I want to cook.  This is especially true on busy weeknights after work.  I think this cookbook will be just the ticket.

Most of the recipes are quick fixes and all of the recipes are good for you!  Something else Dave and I try to accomplish in our daily meals (I said try!).


A few days after the book arrived we tried the Korean Steak Tacos.  As advertised they were easy and delicious!

The book is organized by day of the week so I decided we'd do a week's worth of dinners out of this book, one from each weekday chapter.  Today is Monday!  Our decision for today was Grilled Fish Tacos with Pico De Gallo.  Dave and I love fish tacos!

This turned out to be a perfect meal for tonight.  We had to make an unexpected trip a couple hours from home today and by the time we got home it was after 7pm.  We usually eat somewhere between 6 and 7 so we were hungry and I was pooped from all the driving so I didn't really want to cook.  But this was my week with Curtis Stone and I didn't want to mess that up so I was making the tacos!

The preparation time is listed as 15 minutes and the cook time as 10 minutes.  I'd say that was pretty spot on.  I started putting things together about 7:15 and we were eating by quarter to 8.  The recipe suggests a side dish of Romaine with Cherry Tomatoes, red Onion and Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette but we skipped that tonight.  We were hungry and it was getting late.

The pico is a mixture of plum tomatoes, white onion, red jalapeno peppers, fresh cilantro (yuck), lemon juice and salt.  I had to ask what a red jalapeno pepper was and Curtis stone was nice enough to tweet me are just jalapenos that have been left on the vine to ripen to red, he said I could substitute green but I found the red ones in my grocery store.

Those of you who know me know I cannot stand cilantro.  Even the slightest bit will ruin a meal for me.  It tastes nasty, like soap or something.  I rarely bring it into the house.  My husband however, could eat a cilantro salad!  So I bought some and his tacos had the cilantro!

Here is my cilantro free pico.



And just for my hubby, I added some cilantro to his.


The fish couldn't be easier.  Whisk together some olive oil, cilantro (I left that out again), and garlic.  Coat the pieces of fish, in this case mahi mahi, with this mixture then season with salt an pepper.


This lovely fish is placed on the grill with a couple of lime halves and a few minutes later you have this!


The corn tortillas are also thrown on the grill for a few minutes to warm them up.  I love corn tortillas warmed on the grill.  I think they get a better flavor than if you just warm them up in the microwave.

A little cabbage, the fish the pico and some sour cream and dinner was served! 


We liked them and for dinner in 25 minutes you can't beat it.  We might go back to our favorite fish, halibut for these next time.  Though I think I would have to pan sear that because I'm not sure it would hold up on the grill as nicely as the mahi mahi.  Something to try!

Tomorrow, Cider-Dijon Pork Chops with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples!  We found some absolutely beautiful free range happy pork chops at the Golden Fig today.  They will be going into tomorrow's dinner which also has a prep time of 10 minutes and a cook time of 15 minutes which is good, because I have to work late tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts