A Week with Curtis Stone - Friday

Happy Friday!  I didn't make a meal from the Curtis Stone What's for Dinner cookbook tonight.  We had friends in from out of town and we met them at one of our favorite places, Ward 6 in St. Paul for dinner.  We weren't going to pass that up!  But this is my week with Curtis Stone so I had to make something right?  How 'bout dessert?  How 'bout Chocolate Bread Pudding!

I couldn't find this recipe out on the web to provide a link so I think you're just going to have to buy the book.  Trust me, you won't be disappointed.  This is one of those cookbooks from which I'm sure I've gotten my money's worth.

I made this after we got home from our dinner with friends and Dave had delivered a cake order I had filled last night so I didn't even start it until after 7pm.  With a prep time of 10 minutes (plus a 20 minute soak) and a cook time of 50 minutes, it was still ok.  This dessert is worth the hour!

Think you can't make bread pudding?  Think again.  This is how easy it is.  Mix up some heavy cream, milk, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla (I didn't say this was a light dessert!).  To this mixture add cubes of day-old french bread and toss to coat.




Let this mixture rest for 20 minutes so the bread can soak up all the liquid goodness!


To this add some chopped semi-sweet chocolate (the recipe says you can use chocolate chips, I stock baking chocolate for all my cakes so I used that) and stir to combine then place it in your baking dish and sprinkle with sugar.



Bake this for about 50 minutes.  About 40 minutes in your house will start to smell absolutely amazing!  The sweet smell of chocolate starts wafting through the house.  When it's done you are supposed to "cool slightly before serving."



For us "slightly" was as long as it took to get plates and ice cream out!


This was delicious.  Fantastic.  One of the best desserts, if not the best dessert, I've ever made.  There was a little crunch from the bread that browned on top, soft smooth eggy interior and, of course, all that chocolate.  Divine!  And yes, we did enjoy it with a glass of wine!  Thank you Curtis Stone!  Guests to our home are going to be getting this one!

Tomorrow?  Orecchiette with Brown Butter, Broccoli, Pine Nuts, and Basil!  And I'm planning on making some homemade bread to go with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts