A Week with Curtis Stone - Saturday

Today was a great day!  I love weekends when we don't have a billion errands to run or anywhere we absolutely have to be.  This was one of those Saturdays. 

The St. Paul Farmer's Market finally opened, three weeks late this year!  It still didn't feel like spring with temperatures in the mid-30's and vendors in hats and mittens and scarves, but it was open.  We stopped there, then had our usual breakfast at Golden's Deli.


From there it was a spa day for me!  Hair and nails at Phresh while Dave met a buddy at Salut for beers and catching up.

Before we had left for the Farmer's Market I fed some sourdough starter.  Once I was done at the spa I started some sourdough baguette to go with tonight's Curtis Stone recipe, Orecchietti with Brown Butter, Broccoli, Pine Nuts and Basil.  Yes, this is a Friday recipe but we went out to dinner Friday and I really wanted to try it so I made it on a Saturday.  I know that's breaking the rules but I think Curtis Stone will be ok with that!


The recipe calls for browned butter, broccoli, pine nuts, and basil.  Yes it was as wonderful as it sounds.  Dave asked "what meat is in it" and, well there is none, so for my carnivore I added a little sausage.

On my way home from the spa I stopped at The Olive Grove Olive Oil Company to refill a bottle of Piqual and pick up some of this beautiful Orecchietti.





Curtis Stone says this recipe takes 5 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to cook and I think that was about right.  You can pretty much have this on the table in the time it takes to boil the pasta.

While I was waiting for the water to boil I cut up the broccoli and toasted the pine nuts.


 
The broccoli is boiled for just a couple of minutes to bring out the bright green.  Then the orecchietti is added to the boiling water and cooked until al dente.  While that's cooking butter is browned in a pan.  I love browned butter!


The broccoli is added to the browned butter and heated through.  I added my sausage too.

The pasta, basil, pine nuts, and lemon juice are added, a little salt and pepper to season, then a drizzle of olive oil to serve.  

 

I drizzled with my new bottle of Spanish Piqual.  I put it in my cute "fetch" bowl I got a few weeks ago at the HAMMS (Help a Minnesota Maker Succeed) Event in St. Paul.  Isn't it cute?


I served it with the sourdough baguette that had just come out of the oven!  I even over-salted some butter for my hubby!


This was delicious!  We loved it.  And it made enough to have it for lunch tomorrow too!  The recipe says it makes 4 servings.  I halved it and we still had 4 servings!  Maybe it's because I added the sausage?  In any event, with a 20 minute prep time and ingredients I always have in the house, I'm sure we'll be having this again and again!


Tonight?  Crab Cakes with Mango Chutney (a Saturday recipe) or Grilled Vegetable Lasagna with Ricotta Tomato Sauce (a Sunday recipe)... I can't decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts