Gruyere-Rosemary Beer Bread

I haven't made beer bread in ages.  I used to make it all the time.  I'd dice it up and serve it with spinach dip as an appetizer.  Then I found appetizers I liked better and beer bread went by the wayside.

A week or so ago I got my daily email from Kitchen Daily and one of the recipes was for Gruyere-Rosemary Beer Bread.  I pinned it.  Yesterday I made it.  I don't think beer bread will fall by the wayside for a while!

Here is a link to the recipe:
Gruyere-Rosemary Beer Bread

This was a snap to make.  I've been doing yeast breads for so long now it was nice not to have to wait for the dough to rise twice before I could put it in the oven.  The ingredients are easy, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, beer, Gruyere cheese, rosemary and butter.

The dry ingredients are mixed, to this the beer is added.  I don't drink beer but lucky for me my husband does.  He was out mowing the lawn for the last time this year when I was making this bread so I just took a beer from behind the bar.  I had no idea what it would taste like.


The cheese and rosemary are folded in, the dough is placed in a prepared pan, butter is poured on top and it's time to go in the oven.




Oh the smells in the kitchen while this was baking!  First you smell the alcohol in the beer cooking off so the kitchen smelled like a brewery.  Next was the aroma of the baking cheese.  You know that smell when you make a grilled cheese sandwich and a little of the cheese melts on the pan?  I love that smell.  Well, that's what the kitchen smelled like next.

It makes a beautiful loaf!



And flavor, oh my the flavor!  What hits my palate first is salt.  The cheese and butter give the bread a nice salty start.  Then you taste the cheese, that delicious salty, earthy cheese.  And finally, the yeasty beer flavor fills your mouth.  This bread is delicious!  I can't wait to try it with some tomato or cheese soup!  According to the blog it makes some pretty delicious croutons as well!

The one downer, the price of the cheese!  I got the Gruyere on sale for $19.99 a pound.  Yes, that was the sale price!  So it's a pretty spendy loaf of bread.  I may try it with some good Swiss cheese next time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts