Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries and Bananas

I love breakfast.  It's my favorite meal to eat out and one of my favorites to cook at home too.  While I was perusing Pinterest yesterday I came across this recipe for baked oatmeal.  I had all of the ingredients in the house so it was decided it would be today's breakfast!

The recipe is from Skinnytaste.  If you haven't heard of this website, Gina Homolka publishes healthy dishes that don't sacrifice on flavor.  I've tried many of them and they are all really good.  Her Chicken Pot Pie Soup is one of my favorites this time of year.  Those of you who know me know I really, really love food but it has to be good food.  I don't eat fat free cheese (honestly, it's not food) or some of the other "diet" substitutions out there.  If there's something in a recipe I don't like, I just change it, it's still a good recipe!  For those of you on Weight Watchers, Gina also publishes both the old and new WW points for every recipe!

Here is a link to the oatmeal recipe:
Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries and Bananas

The ingredients are simple and like me, you probably have them in the house, ripe bananas (OK so mine weren't so ripe but I really wanted to make this), blueberries, honey, quick oats, walnuts or pecans, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, milk and egg and vanilla.


Slice up the bananas and put them in the bottom of a ceramic baking dish.  I used one of my Pampered Chef Pie Plates.  They cost less the more you use them, right?  Top those with half of the blueberries and a little cinnamon.  This gets baked, covered, for 15 minutes to soften up the bananas.  I had to give mine a few extra minutes because my bananas were eating ripe, not baking ripe.



While that's baking the remaining dry ingredients are mixed in one bowl and the wet in another.  When the bananas and blueberries are removed from the oven they are topped with the dry ingredients (oats, nuts, baking powder, cinnamon and salt) and then the wet ingredients are poured on top of that (milk, egg, honey, vanilla).



Finally the remaining blueberries and nuts are sprinkled on top and back in the oven it goes for 30 minutes.  How simple is that?  This picture doesn't do it justice, it was a beautiful golden brown and the kitchen smelled like cinnamon!


This was delicious!  And the possibilities are endless!  Don't like blueberries, use raspberries!  How about apples?  They would be amazing with the cinnamon!  Need to feed a crowd?  I can see baking a double batch in a 13x9 for a big family brunch.  Want to make it "fancy," how about individual servings in ramekins?  I am sure I'll be making this again and again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts