Yummy new appetizer, Tomato & Mozzarella Tarts

I follow the Skinnytaste blog. I've also signed up for Gina's emails from the blog.  Late last week she sent me the recipe for Tomato and Mozzarella tarts. They looked so pretty I had to try them.



Here is a link to the original recipe on the Better Homes and Gardens Website

Tomato and Mozzarella Tarts

The tarts are simple, some puff pastry sheets, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and some basil.  All but the pastry sheets are staples in my house. I grated some Parm, sliced up some cheese and tomatoes and pruned my basil plant and I was ready to go, almost.



I had been to visit my friends at the Olive Grove just this morning and I picked up some Italian seasoning. I always have their basil infused oil in the house. I thought I might kick a few of the tarts up with the oil and seasonings.




Using a 3" round cutter, cut the tart bases out of the puff pastry dough. I easily got 9 tarts out of half a package.




Poke holes in each tart with a fork then bake about 10 minutes until they get puffy.




Per the recipe, top the puffed tarts with a little shredded Parmesan cheese, the mozzarella cheese and a tomato. I wasn't sure what order would work best so I tried a couple, Parmesan, tomato, mozzarella and then Parmesan, mozzarella and tomato.

I sprinkled a little of the Italian seasoning and drizzled a little of the basil oil on a few of them too.




Back in the oven for another 10 or so, I did have some where the tomato slid off.  No worries, I just put it back on!



The final touch is a little basil. I don't like trying to bit through a whole leaf so I julienned some and put it on top.




These are delicious.  Who doesn't like puffed pastry? The "plain" ones were good, your typical caprese flavors. But the ones on which I added the seasoning and basil olive oil were really, really good!  As an after thought we drizzled a little balsamic vinegar on one.  Even better!



Next time I will probably dice the tomato to make it easier to eat and I'll definitely add the seasoning, olive oil and a good drizzle of balsamic vinegar!  Perfect appetizer for entertaining. You could even make them bite sized!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Pita Bread

Jalapenos have come in at Farmer's Market which has me thinking of all recipes jalapeno.  I'll probably can some too, but that will ...

Popular Posts